Apart from Meenakshi Amman temple, Jallikattu and Pongal festival, Madurai, a town in Tamil Nadu, is also famous for the Pongal dish. FORGOTTEN FOODS Madurai style Pongal is made using Kodo millets seasoned with Cashews, Turmeric, Ginger, Cumin, Curry leaves and Pepper.
HISTORY: Kodo millet is an ancient grain and is known as Varagu Arisi in Tamil, Arikelu Biyam in Telugu, Kodri/Kodra/Kodon Chawal in Hindi and Aarka Akki in Kannada.
Millets are known as Siridhanya/ Sridhanya/ Siridhanyalu/ Sirithenaigal/ Siridhanyagalu across different regions in India. They are forgotten grains and our effort is to bring them back to the mainstream for future food security and access to better nutrition.
- Our Millet Pongal is Wheat free, Gluten free and Vegan.
- The high fibre content in the grains may help you in improving your gut health. You may need to drink more water to flush out the fibers and easy bowel movement.
- The grains are low in Glycemic index (GI) and hence may be suitable for diabetics. It may keep your energy levels sustained for a longer time.
- The siridhanya grains have high Anti-Oxidants and micronutrients in them
- Sridhanya whole grains are a good source of plant proteins. Kodo millet is rich in protein content when compared to rice or wheat.
It is very simple and easy to cook millet Pongal using our instant premix for your healthy breakfast.
Step 1) Add 1 measure MIX to 3 measures boiling water.
Step 2) Stir constantly for 7-8 minutes on low to medium flame.
Step 3) Mix well. Serve hot. *Optionally serve with ghee.
*Measure means a cup or container of your choice
Kodo millet, moong dal, pepper, cashew nuts, cumin, green chilly, curry leaves, ginger powder, edible vegetable fat (interesterified), salt.
DISCLAIMER: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug adminstration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The result may vary from person to person.
Millet Pongal - Spicy Pepper Flavorful Dish - Ready to Cook Instant Breakfast Premix