Millet lemon rice is easy to cook, light, nutritious and healthy for your body. Millet lemon rice can be made using any Forgotten millet like Foxtail, Little, Barnyard or Kodo. It is gluten free, diabetic and vegan friendly.
Course – breakfast, lunch
Servings – 4 people
- Forgotten Grains (Foxtail/Kodo/Barnyard/Little) – 1 cup
- Channa dal – 2 cups
- Urad dal – 2 cups
- Green chilli – 2 pieces, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander – small bunch, finely chopped
- Ginger – 2 tsp, grated
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) – a pinch
- Lemon – 2 medium sized
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 1/8 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsp or as needed
- Salt – to taste
Method of preparation
- Soak Forgotten millets in water for half an hour.
- Pressure cook the millets for 3 whistles. Once cooked, mix it gently with a fork so that the grains do not stick together.
- In the meanwhile when the millets are cooking, heat a pan with oil on medium flame, add mustard and fry it until they begin to splutter. Then add channa dal, urad dal, cashews, peanuts and green chillies.
- When the dal is roasted and turns golden brown in colour, add curry leaves and ginger and fry it until the curry leaves turn crispy.
- Then turn off the flame and add turmeric and asafoetida (hing) and stir well.
- Mix all the ingredients with the cooked millets, salt, lemon juice and stir well until they are all mixed really well.
- Now sprinkle the chopped corainder on top of the rice and it is ready to be served.
Back to News